Saturday, September 25, 2010

It's not all work...

Part of the 'Fulbright Experience', apparently, is to engage in cross-cultural learning and experience. To that end, I took a day off from my packed schedule of stressing about cognitive dissonance and the eternal struggle between interpretivism and positivism, and went hiking.


Oh my sweet Lord Jesus - it was FAAAABULOUS!

We went up to the top of Snowbird (11,000 ft), partly along road, partly along trail, and the last mile runs along a narrow ridge with steep drops down to the valleys on either side. It's a moderately difficult climb in spots... let's just say that I won't be mocking people with hiking poles anymore! Some of it is rolls gently and some is very steep. It gets harder as you climb higher and the air thins out - by the time we were near the summit, I had to stop every 3 minutes to catch my breath - but what an excuse to look around and marvel at everything. The sky was a deep, deep blue; the aspens are mostly still green, but starting to turn yellow; some of the other trees have turned red and rust; the limestone outcroppings are dramatic against the red rock.  I loved every minute. We cheated a bit, and took the cable car back down to the bottom, where the Snowbird Oktoberfest was in full swing, so we had a beer and ate our hang sangers before heading from the hills.


At that height, the air is thinner and cleaner; you can see for miles in every direction. It certainly clears the perspective. Happy day.





3 comments:

  1. I'm hugely envious.
    Hang sangers too: glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks pretty nice there. Just wait till it's 50 below and then do it again. Jealous of your weather here, we've gone to rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will, Gerry... except then I'll be taking the cable car up and skiing back down... wheeeeeeee!

    ReplyDelete